5.25.2010

Aquatics

Today was a big day. That's right. BIG.

I arrived at the Harris YMCA pool at 5:45 am, towel and goggles in tow. My swimming partner invariably beats me to the pool so I was a little thrown off when I realized none of the swim-capped heads were hers. So I sat down on the bench and waited. I watched lanes open and close. I watched people effortlessly moving through the water. My stomach started to knot as I watched the clock and worried about all the unknowns.

How flipping cold is that water going to be?

Do I even remember how to do anything other than breast stroke?

(Do I even know how to do breast stroke, really?)

Are my goggles going to leak and get water in my last pair of contacts rendering me nearly blind for the better part of a week until my new ones arrive?

Am I going to look like a complete ass?

I waited and pondered and squirmed for about 15 minutes. I resigned myself to the fact that my partner was not showing and went for it - into the pool with goggles smooshed into the soft circles under my eyes (this would be pretty later). First few laps I caved and did breast stroke. Finally, finally, finally - I just did it. I put my face in the water.

Let me repeat.

I put my face in the water!!! (worthy of exclamation points)

I swam for four laps breathing every four strokes and my lungs burned. I kinda liked it but I kinda felt like I might drown so I kinda decided to take a brief moment and observe the other swimmers. They were breathing every two strokes. Well sheesh. What was I thinking? So I went back and forth between two strokes and four strokes and got comfortable. Every 4-6 laps or so I stopped and did a little kickboard since I was barely kicking while swimming. By the end of the 45 minutes I was swimming without counting laps... I had learned a few very important things:

I am not going to drown

and

I can pace myself

and

No one's looking at me

so

who cares if I look like an ass?

1 comment:

  1. If you think about it, pretty much everyone looks foolish swimming... why swim to the end of the lane when there is a perfectly good cement path alongside the pool you can walk down? At least, those are my thoughts whenever I'm in a pool... and its another reason why I hated those Wednesday pool mornings at Furman. Haha, hope you're well!

    peace,

    s

    ReplyDelete