5.04.2010

Trio of Yum


2010-05-03 18.43.13.jpg, originally uploaded by mo mckinley.

I was treated to a trio of yum last night. After a very little cooking weekend due to traveling, I think the boy was in a mood: eggplant parmesan, lamb ragout, and scallops. Funny thing is... this is not an unusual thing for me to find on my plate. I'm beginning to worry that I'm being spoiled by the fabulous food I encounter nearly every day. The first bite of scallop took me off guard with the richness of the mingling apple and bacon flavors. The eggplant parmesan had a layer of butternut squash puree in the middle which made for tasty texture and the lamb ragout was served with homemade fettucini. The dish was a combination of things that needed to be used up in the refrigerator... talk about a ridiculously good use of leftovers.

I was so hungry on the way home after missing my afternoon snack that I was shaking. When I walked in the kitchen I found the boy hard at work. Whenever he's in the zone there is a purposeful quickness and rigidity in his movements. Tongs in/tongs out. The snap of tongs on the edge of the pan. These are good, good sounds. The oven opens and another surprise arrives. These are good, good nights when the mundane task of eating for nourishment is turned upside down to make it an event all in its own right. And then there was book club... I do so love my Mondays.

1 comment: