3.15.2010

Hummus Frummus and other friendly figs.

I've been given very explicit instructions to take a few days off. Possibly more than a few days.

You see... I've got this supertubularsomethingorother that has been bothering me lately and I've been just pushing forward in my usual manner. Apparently my turning 24 a couple months ago means business as usual is no longer acceptable. I have been informed that in one's old age stretching and time off between runs are two essential components of running that I have been neglecting. Perhaps because I was unaware that 24 constituted old age. Then again, a couple weeks before my marathon my chiropractor used the "A" word in relation to my knees. Arthritic knees? Really? And then he sealed the deal with, "But that's ok, that's normal for your age." W-o-w.

Alas... I am taking a few days off of running. Don't worry, this does not mean I am taking a few days off of eating. Nope. Not even for one hot minute.

My total mileage for Saturday was a big, gaping 0 but this did not stop me from devouring the good eats at Dinner and Dominoes at the Campbell household. The opener was homemade pita and four spreads. I watched the final stages as the dough was gently rolled out and placed on the baking stone in the oven one at a time - ballooning into an airy existence before being taken out (burning his hands) to become a vehicle for the spreads to reach our mouths.

Four spreads: sun-dried tomato hummus, tapenade, dried fruit medley of goodness, and a more standard hummus with parsley.

The tapenade went first.

The sun-dried tomato hummus was a close second.

And really, we were supposed to have room for dinner after all this? Pita and conversation are a nice combination but the aromas from my mother's cooking were enough to convince us to relocate to the dinner table.

She promised some kind of middle eastern dish... it went far beyond couscous. I wish I could describe the sauce but after cumin I get a little lost. The mixture included apricots, figs, green olives, and braised chicken thighs with more flavor than you could shake a (drum)stick at. The panna cotta for dessert was just a little italian cherry on top.

And shoot. I sandwiched this with a whopping 0 miles on Sunday too. I am convincing myself that this is a necessary evil and as soon as it's all taken care of I can go get it like I've never gone and gotten it before.

Pictures? I know... I'm going to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment